In the interest of the health and wellbeing of us all, the office is closed to all visitors until further notice and paper mail is no longer being processed. Members, retirees and employers can connect with our Member Experience team using our secure Contact us page. Read more on our COVID-19 updates
Welcome to OPTrust Select, a defined benefit pension plan designed to provide you with secure, predictable income in retirement – for life.
To join OPTrust Select, you must first be eligible under your employer’s participation agreement. If you are eligible, your membership will be mandatory or optional, depending on your age and employment status. In certain cases, you may not be eligible to join OPTrust Select.
Your Guide to OPTrust Select
This booklet provides a summary of the features of your OPTrust Select pension. Please read it carefully as it contains important information that will be helpful at all stages of your career. Our Member Experience team is available to assist you if you have questions.
Membership in OPTrust Select is mandatory for eligible employees if you are:
- less than age 65, and
- working on a full-time, continuous basis.
Membership in OPTrust Select is optional for eligible employees if you are:
- less than age 65 and working on a less than full-time continuous basis (e.g., part-time), or
- between the ages of 65 and 71 when you enrol.
Membership in OPTrust Select is prohibited if you are:
- participating in the primary schedule of benefits under the Plan
- receiving a pension from OPTrust
- over age 71, or
- not part of an eligible group under your employer’s participation agreement.
Once you join OPTrust Select, you and your employer both contribute toward your pension. Your contributions will be deducted from each pay at a rate of three per cent of your pensionable pay. Your employer will match the contributions you make.
Your pensionable pay equals the regular salary or hourly wages you earn during each pay period. Pensionable pay does not include overtime pay, bonuses or other lump sum payments in lieu of benefits, or any payment determined by OPTrust not to be pensionable.
As a member of OPTrust Select, you will be receiving a statement from us each spring that provides details about the benefit you have built in the Plan. This year's statement displays your pension as of December 31, 2019.
As time passes, your statement will give you a "snapshot" of how your pension is growing, year by year. Want to learn more?
Your lifetime OPTrust Select pension is based on a formula which takes into account a set percentage (0.6%) of your annualized pensionable pay and the pension service you earn in each year of employment. For each year of OPTrust Select membership, the pension amount you earn is calculated as follows:
As long as your employer participates in OPTrust Select, your membership in the Plan will continue until you reach the earliest of the following:
- termination of your employment
- November 30 of the year you turn age 71, which is the Income Tax Act limit for accruing a pension, or
- You are eligible for an unreduced pension when you reach age 65. To start your pension, you need to terminate employment with your OPTrust Select employer and notify OPTrust at least three months in advance.
- You can terminate employment and begin receiving your pension anytime between ages 55 and 65. If you choose to start your pension before age 65, your pension will be permanently reduced because you will receive it longer.
After age 65:
- You can also continue working past age 65. If you do, you will continue to contribute to OPTrust Select and increase your pension. Under the Income Tax Act, you must start receiving your pension no later than the end of the year in which you reach age 71.
Factsheets and Forms for Members
To complete a fillable form, download a copy, save it on your computer, and open it with Adobe Reader (the latest version is recommended). If you do not have it installed on your computer, you may download the latest version free of charge from http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions
Have you left your position with an OPTrust Select employer?
If you have left your position with an OPTrust Select employer and have chosen to collect your pension at a later date, please be sure to keep your email address and contact information up to date with OPTrust so you continue to receive all the important details you need to know about your pension. As well, please let us know at least three months prior to when you want to start collecting your pension. Contact us to stay in touch.
Planning for Retirement
Some retirement experts say you should plan on generating 55% - 75% of your annual pre-retirement income for each year of retirement. Your OPTrust Select pension, along with other sources of income such as government benefits and personal savings, will help you maintain your current lifestyle in retirement but there is a lot to think about and plan for!
- Review your Annual Pension Statement each year.
- Have a look at the Government of Canada’s Retirement Income Calculator. It will help you see how the different sources of your retirement income work together.
- Start thinking about a retirement date.
- o You can retire with an unreduced pension at age 65 – or as early as age 55, with a reduction. Contact OPTrust if you need an estimate of your reduced pension.
- Consider your Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security benefits. Sign up for a My Service Canada account that lets you apply, view estimates and update your information for CPP and OAS.
- If you’re in a common law relationship, look at our How to Prove Your Spousal Relationship factsheet. The document outlines what proof we need to confirm that your spousal relationship meets OPTrust Select’s requirements.
- Notify your employer of your intent to retire
- Collect the documents that you will need to process your pension information:
- Proof of marriage or common law status (See How to Prove Your Spousal Relationship)
- Proof of birth for your spouse
- If you have a spouse, consider if you wish to provide your spouse with a survivor pension of 60%, 65%, 70% or 75% of your pension, or if you and your spouse would prefer to waive the survivor benefit.
- Now is the time to decide what to do with your government pension programs. Apply in advance for the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS) benefits:
- Decide when to collect CPP, you can start as early as age 60 or defer it as late as age 70. You must apply with Service Canada to collect CPP.
- Decide when to collect OAS, you can start as early as age 65 or defer it as late as age 70. Contact Service Canada for more details.
- Update your TD1 Form if your tax bracket changes.
- We will send you a retirement package outlining your pension benefit and survivor pension options and explaining what documents we need.
- Your pension will start in the month following your retirement date. It is deposited directly to your bank account, typically on the 26th of the month, and is payable for your lifetime.
Enjoy your well-deserved retirement!
Contact us three months before you would like to start collecting your pension. Your message should include your OPTrust Select ID, your spouse’s name and date of birth, and the month you wish your pension to begin. Our team will respond to you with your pension options.
What you need to know
OPTrust Select’s features:
About the Plan
OPTrust Select is a schedule of benefits under the OPSEU Pension Plan, one of the top 10 public sector pension funds in Canada.
The fund has over $23 billion in assets. This is large enough to access investment opportunities that single employer plans like group RRSPs typically cannot. These investment opportunities allow OPTrust to diversify, and lower the risk associated with day-to-day market fluctuations.
In-house investment experts take the guesswork out of managing retirement savings.
As a long-term investor focused on providing pensions for our members now and into the future, we integrate environmental, social and governance issues, such as climate change and gender diversity, into our investment decision-making.
The Plan is fully funded, which means that we can deliver on the retirement promise made to all members: secure, predictable retirement income – for life.
OPTrust Select Employers
OPTrust Select is designed specifically for organizations in the nonprofit, charitable and broader public sectors in Ontario and brings the advantages of OPTrust’s large scale and investment expertise to organizations that did not previously offer a defined benefit pension. The people who have joined OPTrust Select provide a range of critically important services including healthcare, community support and environmental advocacy. View the interactive map